22 Dec Chickweed (Stellaria media)
This common weed is one of the best herbs for relieving the discomfort of insect bites and other itchy skin conditions when rubbed on the body.
Also it is beneficial for inflammation of any membranes. The parts of chickweed sooth the skin.
Taken internally, chickweed has a similar soothing and moistening effect on the lungs and stomach.
How It May Benefit You…
Take internally for:
- sore throat, congestion in the lungs
- stomach and duodenal ulcers
Apply externally for:
- cuts or wounds
- bites from mosquitoes and other insects
- psoriasis, and other itching skin irritations
- boils, abscesses
- skin ulcers
- scalp conditions – applied topically or drunk as juice.
You can eat as much fresh chickweed as you want. Chickweed is high in vitamin C, and the fresh herb can be eaten raw in a salad or as a cooked green.
WARNING: Herbs should only be used under the supervision of an experienced herbalist or naturopath experienced in herbs.
Chickweed is available in dried bulk, oil, ointment, and tincture.